Annually, over 20,000 people go to the ER due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is produced by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the winter months when people are trying to keep their homes heated. To help keep your home safe, Mountainwest Service Experts is here with a few tips to safety warm your home.
- Put in a CO detector on each floor of your home and change the batteries annually.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, a minimum of three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, always check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
- Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended. Shut off space heaters and be sure all embers in the fireplace are completely extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be situated on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like concrete or tile. Keep young ones and furbabies away from space heaters.
- When investing in a new space heater, buy a model that shuts off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Do not use a cooking range to heat your home.
- Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally checked and cleaned annually.
The ideal thing you can do for your heating system is to ensure it’s not only up to the task of keeping your home warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your heating tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, Mountainwest Service Experts will check to make sure your heating system is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 385-399-0280 today and find out how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.