With the winter season we all tend to spend most of our time inside trying to stay warm. While sometimes snuggling in bed and drinking hot cocoa will do the trick, Mountainwest Service Experts is here with a couple tips on how to stay warm (and safe!) during the cold.
Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Verify you have carbon monoxide (CO) detectors installed on all floors of your home, especially near bedrooms, and test them to verify they are working. Since CO cannot be detected because it is odorless and invisible, it’s vital that you have working CO detectors to make sure you are safe.
Get Your Chimney Inspection
This is the right time of year to get the fireplace up and running, but before you do, be sure you have your chimney cleaned and inspected by an expert. The fireplace could be a source of CO if you don’t have it regularly cleaned and maintained.
Be Careful with Space Heaters
Space heaters are normally safe, energy efficient, and a helpful way to heat small rooms of your home, but make sure it has been authorized by a recognized testing laboratory and comes with an automatic shut-off feature. Observe all manufacturer’s instructions and be sure it is placed on a hard, level surface at least 36 inches away from anything flammable.
With a heating tune-up from Mountainwest Service Experts in Salt Lake City, we will perform a safety check of your heating equipment to make sure there are no leaks or carbon monoxide issues. Along with a Precision tune-up, verify your heating vents are not obstructed and that you’re replacing your air filter each month. This will keep the air flow unrestricted and help prevent allergens from exacerbating respiratory issues.
If You Need Help Staying Warm, Ask
There are proper ways and wrong ways to heat your home – using the oven, a grill, or a camp stove are all wrong ways. Using these products to heat your home could result in a fire or a dangerous reserve of carbon monoxide. If you need assistance paying your heating bills, visit NeedHelpPayingBills.com to find a service close to you.
To be sure your home is ready to keep you safe and warm all season long, call Mountainwest Service Experts at 385-399-0280 today.