When rough weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your highest priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair technician to check your system afterwards, they can likely provide you with good news that your prep worked.
At Mountainwest Service Experts, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time may not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets strewn about during bad weather. Just ensure you have turned the system completely off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a protected place so that they don’t get strewn about during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to go back outdoors, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Mountainwest Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Salt Lake City, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other concerns that might come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for threatening weather in Salt Lake City or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with Mountainwest Service Experts through our online scheduler.