How Do You Check for Carbon Monoxide?

There are a multitude of fumes that could be inside your Salt Lake City home. Natural gas and vapors that derive from residential furniture, flooring and paints. Not one of these gases are as dangerous as carbon monoxide.

Reach Mountainwest Service Experts at 385-399-0280 today to get started shielding your loved ones against this dangerous gas.

Why is Carbon Monoxide so Bad?

Carbon monoxide may be a serious issue, so it’s not a thing to take lightly.

1. You Can’t Smell It

Carbon monoxide is dangerous because you cannot view it, sense it with your nose or detect it with your taste buds. It’s not as dangerous in low doses and can’t be purified.

2. It Can Be Deadly After Only Minutes

Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of spent fuel. It can filter into your residence during the heating season if the heat exchanger on your gas furnace breaks. While it depends on how considerable the leak is and the airflow in a home, the gas can become deadly in within minutes.

Once inhaled, it has a half-life of approximately five hours. If you are taking in fresh air, you will need five hours to remove it from your bloodstream. It will take another five hours to reduce that concentration by half.

3. Carbon Monoxide Symptoms Can Resemble Other Illnesses

The gas may also mimic illnesses that can be misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other illnesses.

How to Guard Your Home from Carbon Monoxide

There’s no point to take a chance with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Here are several precautions you can complete to keep your residence safe:

  1. Each home with at least one gas furnace, adjoined garage or fireplace needs to have a carbon monoxide detector. You should have a detector on every level of your residence, on top of the basement and garage. You also should have one installed inside or outside of each bedroom. Aren’t using a carbon monoxide alarm in your house?
    Call Mountainwest Service Experts at 385-399-0280 to get one. Ask our Experts about our economical Wi-Fi carbon monoxide alarms.
  2. If you presently own a carbon monoxide system, frequently check or swap out the batteries. You should look at batteries every 90 days, and get a new detector every three to five years.
  3. If your carbon monoxide detector goes off, leave your home immediately and dial 911.

Protect Your Family with Help from Mountainwest Service Experts

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary, and with the right precautions your house can be protected from the toxic gas. Take the necessary steps and call Mountainwest Service Experts at 385-399-0280 to learn more.