Colder months in Salt Lake City are upon us. In fact, the months of October through February have a record of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances taking place throughout those months. To understand the safety of your home, set up an annual furnace service now, before the peak of winter is here.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners know that their furnace may discharge deadly carbon monoxide gas, but more than half don't do anything to prevent it from happening.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be surprisingly harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be thought of as the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that uses fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the opportunity to give off carbon monoxide if the system is not running as it should be or if it wasn’t installed the right way.
Your annual furnace service company can help identify any potential concerns. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Be sure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Inspect for any other weird things that might compromise your safety
- Help you uncover any additional areas where you may want to end up adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is operating at its peak efficiency, helping give you peace-of-mind that you’re in an ideal spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to know that many furnace manufacturers might require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the pros at Mountainwest Service Experts can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the colder months.