Carbon Monoxide (CO2) – How to Stop the Invisible Indoor Killer Published on February 11, 2015 According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments attend to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide incidents each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s usually associated with wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources such as gas or oil furnaces. Why is CO2 awareness so important? Carbon monoxide can be deadly; its that simple. CO2 is tops when ranking leading causes of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning have been known to be misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning an often hidden enemy that can be fatal over several years, or within just a few short hours. Acute poisoning takes place from breathing large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning may also happen gradually over many months or years. Some symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue. So what can you do? If you don’t have a CO2 detector in your home, get one right away. You can call Mountainwest Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to purchase one today. Existing CO2 detectors should be checked regularly (at least every 90 days). It's also a good idea to replace the detector every 3-5 years. If you experience or have experienced any of the symptoms mentioned above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary. *emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.