Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect

There are many potential gases that could exist in your home. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that can come from such items as household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But nothing is as dangerous as carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is potentially a matter of life and death, so it’s not something to joke about. This toxic gas is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can filtrate its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on how large the crack is and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can quickly be fatal, or the gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things.

You absolutely cannot risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some recommended action items to protect yourself and your family:

  1. If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, call Mountainwest Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Salt Lake City to purchase one. Ask our technicians about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect.
  2. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, be sure to regularly check or replace the batteries. Testing should be done every three months, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years.
  3. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or start having some of the symptoms listed above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps you can be certain to receive alerts if there is any sign of carbon monoxide. Our experts can provide more information, so go ahead and call Mountainwest Service Experts in Salt Lake City at 385-399-0280 to learn more.